Greetings to all!
Sometime around the death of Charlemagne, a pilgrim's guide was written and circulated in France and in Spain. It described a 500 mile route taken across northern Spain by foot or by horseback that pulled its travelers toward the end of the earth to the shrine of Saint James, called Santiago de Compostela. Typically, these dear souls would walk away from their lives for months at a time over mountains, across fields, and through villages on their way to visit the saint seeking any number of remedies. The route attracted artisans and builders as well and some of the most wonderful examples of medieval architecture and sculpture line this route.
Pilgrims who make the trek during the winter months endure special hardships that qualify them for additional spiritual benefits once they reach the saint. They deal with miserable weather, closed shops, and fewer friends to accompany them on their journey. I identify with these dear souls and wonder whether I might qualify as a winter pilgrim as I chart my trek around New York and in my travels with my children and my friends. I'd like to use this opportunity to share how I have come to this spiritual status and how I now find myself finally becoming the fictional character I always wanted to be.
Sincerely,
Nilesite
No comments:
Post a Comment