Greetings to all!
Not wanting to sound superficial or politically incorrect, I have put some thought to what Sarah Hightower looks like? Hair, eyes, height, what does she wear, is she stylish, does she even care?
Much as I would like to say she doesn't care, I believe she does. Of course she has curly hair - I have wanted real curls all my life - and of course her eyes are dark because she is a woman of mystery. I'd like to pull threads out of my own cultural background and weave together a profile for her that includes Navajo and Irish, Galician and French, but this isn't fair. How can I give my character in fiction less than I have in fact? Wouldn't I want her to be so much more? And why do I want to edit my heritage just to make her look interesting on paper?
The answer to that one is simple. Of course I want her to look interesting on paper!
There was this really amazing girl in high school who had really amazing hair. In a decade notable for hair shoulder length or longer, this girl actually colored hers. She was a sophomore who was coloring early strands of gray hair. She had thick, medium brown hair that she rinsed with henna which gave her deep red highlights - or so we all thought. She was probably terrified that she would go completely gray before she graduated from college but she never let on. In fact, she made us all want henna but I didn't need it. I already had red and gold highlights in my hair.
Is Sarah Hightower coming into focus?
Sincerely,
Nilesite
No comments:
Post a Comment